Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Linda Leviton



"I love to work with copper, and have evolved my efforts into three distinct bodies of work: large modular wall sculptures that I call quilts, fold-formed wall hung constructions, and woven forms.
My quilts evoke the colors and textures of nature. I use etching, dyes, patinas and paint to treat the surface and form subtle or vibrantly colored designs. I make these pieces modular so they can be hung to form one large piece or mounted as smaller separate units creating ease and flexibility for large installations as well as changing interior spaces.

Since copper is so wonderfully malleable, I like to shape it using techniques from many disciplines including blacksmithing, sheet metal construction, welding, silversmithing and printmaking. For example, I like to fold-form copper sheets into serpentine or leaf shapes. These shapes form a module or basic form. I combine these basic forms into larger more involved shapes, sometimes representational, sometimes abstract. But the connection with nature is always an undertone. " - Linda Leviton

To see more of her strking work go to her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment